Justin Weiner is a former Assistant District Attorney who now defends those charged with crimes throughout East Texas. He is board certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
He has years of experience and a unique skill set that has been developed from handling thousands of criminal cases. This enables him to comfortably maneuver and operate within the criminal justice system.
Justin has an extensive amount of jury trial experience. This includes handling nearly 40 felony trials which have involved a large variety of charges, sophisticated legal issues, and high profile cases. Charges that he has handled include but are not limited to: Capital Murder, Murder, Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child, Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon, Drug Possession/Distribution and Trafficking, Insurance Fraud, and many other charges. Additionally, Justin has a significant amount of experience from previously serving as the Municipal Prosecutor in Eustace, Log Cabin, and Caney City.
In addition to his extensive legal experience, Justin has always maintained a high level of community involvement. He has been a speaker and presenter for many organizations and has spent countless hours training individuals regarding criminal law. He has been honored and recognized by a number of local and state-wide organizations for his efforts. Justin is proud to dedicate time towards bettering the community.
Justin and his wife have been married for over 12 years and are the proud parents of two sons. Though raised in Flower Mound, just outside of Dallas, he and his wife (a Palestine native) are very proud East Texans.
Email Justin at: Justin@EastTexasCriminalLaw.com
- Justin’s office is in Athens, Texas, but he regularly practices all over East Texas.
Areas of Practice
- 90% of practice focused on Criminal Law Litigation, State and Federal
- Texas, 2010
- United States District Court – Eastern District of Texas, 2016
- Thomas M. Cooley School of Law, Lansing, Michigan – Juris Doctor – 2010
- The University of Texas at Tyler, Tyler, Texas Cum Luade – Bachelor of Science – 2006
Honors and Awards
- Invitation to Join The American Trial Academy: Top Tier Lawyers (<2% of Attorneys in the United States are considered for membership) | 2020
- Invitation to Join The American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys: 10 Best Attorneys | 2018, 2019
- Invitation to Join The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40 | 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Invitation to Join The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40 Criminal Trial Lawyers| 2019
- President’s Award | Athens Chamber of Commerce | 2016
- Lucille Rocus Volunteer of the Year for the State of Texas | Texas Council on Child Welfare Boards | 2014
- Graduate of the Athens Leadership Institute | 2015
- Past President Henderson County Bar Association | 2013-2014
- Past Henderson County Teen Court Judge
Professional Associations and Memberships
- East Texas Autism Network | Board and Executive Committee Member | 2015 – 2017
- Henderson County Child Welfare Board | Board Member and Chairman of Board | 2011-2014
- Athens Chamber of Commerce | Board and Executive Committee Member | 2014 – 2017
- Henderson County Bar Association | 2010 – Present
- President – Henderson County Bar Association | 2011, 2017
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Writ-ing a Wrong, The Prosecutor (Texas District and County Attorneys Association), March-April 2013, Vol. 43, No. 2.See article here: http://www.tdcaa.com/journal/writ-ing-wrong
- Blazing a Cold Trail, The Prosecutor (Texas District and County Attorneys Association), March-April 2016, Vol. 46, No. 2.See article here: http://www.tdcaa.com /journal/blazing-cold-trail
- Firearms Law and Open Carry Legal Update Henderson County Bar Association | 2015
- Legislative Update Henderson County Bar Association | 2011, 2013, and 2015
- Legislative Update for East Texas Law Enforcement | 2011, 2013, and 2015
- Annual Help and Hope Conference | Northeast Texas Child Advocacy Center | 2013 and 2015
- Child Trafficking and Interdiction Training | Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center | 2012
- Ethics and Lawyering | Henderson County Crime Victims Conference | 2013
- Effective Investigation of Assault Family Violence and Strangulation Cases | East Texas Crisis Center | 2014
- Athens Rotary Club Guest Speaker | 2012, 2013 and 2015
- Athens Kiwanis Guest Speaker | 2012, 2013 and 2015
- Athens Chamber of Commerce Guest Speaker | 2012, 2013 and 2015
- Cedar Creek Lake Rotary Club Guest Speaker | 2014